With the emergence of new forms of communication and interaction every day, the reasoning between using a particular service over another begins to vary. When is a Skype call more appropriate than a phone call? Is Facebook Chat too unprofessional a medium to speak to your boss with? In this post, we explore the ways in which millennials have adapted methods of communication in the digital age.
What do we use each medium for? Let’s start with the basics.
- Talking to parents.
- Quick conversations that text messages can’t convey.
- Talking to grandparents.
2. Video Chat
- Multiplayer video games.
- Long-distance relationships.
- Long conversations with friends.
- Services (i.e. tutoring, therapy, mentorship, etc.)
- Talking to teachers or professors.
- Talking to coworkers or bosses.
- Announcements from schools, companies, employers, etc.
- Sending yourself files. (But not really anymore…#googledrive)
4. Text Messaging
- Talking to everyone.
- Any type of conversation.
- Planning future meet-ups.
- Confessing feelings.
- Passive agression.
5. FB Chat
- See above, but more group chats and easily accessible conversations.